December 27, 2016
Study Compares Functional Performance of Genium and C-Leg
A study in Vol. 53 No. 6 of the Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development compares the Ottobock Genium microprocessor-controlled knee (MPK) with the Ottobock C-Leg. The researchers’ aim was to determine whether Genium use improves functional performance compared with the C-Leg. A randomized experimental crossover design was used, with a cross section of five nonamputee controls for comparison. Twenty community-ambulating people with transfemoral amputations were trained and tested for accommodation with study components. All subjects (n = 25) were assessed using the Continuous-Scale Physical Functional Performance-10 (CS-PFP10) assessment. Subjects with transfemoral amputations used both MPK systems. It was found that Genium use improved upper-body flexibility, balance, and endurance domain scores (7 percent - 8.4 percent) compared with the C-Leg. Only in the endurance domain did Genium users score significantly lower than nonamputees (22.4 percent). Comparing the C-Leg with nonamputees, CS-PFP10 total (2 percent - 24.4 percent) and all domains except upper-body strength were lower than nonamputees (-13.4 percent to -28.9 percent). Nonetheless, regardless of knee condition, subjects with transfemoral amputations did not equal or surpass nonamputees in any functional domain, suggesting room for improvements in their functional performance.
- Freedom Innovations Kinnex Kinnex integrates the world’s fastest responding microprocessor-ankle technology and a carbon fiber foot to provide users with a uniquely stable and natural walking experience.
- OPTEC PROGLIDE® and VENUM® Hybrid The new PROGLIDE universal design provides immobilization of the cervical region in a comfortable, easy-to-use cervical collar. The new VENUM HYBRID is the only brace you will need to fit all your patients.
- Owens Carolina O&P The Tycro Cone is back. And it’s now available to orthotists and prosthetists with no distributor markup. The new material is tougher, polishes better, grooves less, and will last longer than our previous pink material.
- Martin Bionics - Medicare-approved The Medicare-approved Socket-less Socket means the end of rigid sockets. The SwingBrim is the end of rigid brims. It has the same dynamic brim comfort as the full Socket-less Socket but for conventional sockets.